Derbyshire County Council runs the Independent Visiting Scheme in Derbyshire. We are looking for inspiring volunteers from across the County who can take young people who are in our care out and about to fun activities and become a positive role model in their lives. We ask that these visits are planned on a regular basis and that volunteers are able to commit to doing this for at least a year.
The role is subject to initial and ongoing DBS and reference checks and completion of induction training. We hold regular training and supportive supervision sessions, there is an allowance for activities and expenses for travel is paid.
What makes a fantastic independent visitor?
• Someone who is a positive role model
• Someone who can show a young person new things and offer them new opportunities
• Someone who listens to young people and doesn’t judge them.
• Someone who feeds back any worries or concerns to help keep a young person safe.
• Someone who keeps a good record of what we do.
• Someone who can build good relationships with other people who support young people.
• Someone who is non-discriminatory and will promote the individuality of young people they are supporting.
We are hoping to find enthusiastic volunteers who want to help make a difference in a young person’s life. Unfortunately staff who directly support children in care in their paid job are unable to apply to maintain the independence of the role. Please share this opportunity with any friends or family who you think might be interested.